Author Topic: Scanning 'blank answers'  (Read 1963 times)

September 05, 2014, 12:09:46 PM
Read 1963 times

waymon.hawkins

• Information
    • View Profile
I am having problems scanning my quizzes. Many of my quizzes are missing responses that show as "blank answers" and I have to manually enter the data. Does anyone know a way to correct this?

Thanks!!

September 05, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
Reply #1

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If I'm not sure if the circles are filled in well enough I might go over it with a sharpie.   Otherwise try changing your lighting.  I've had to change locations in my classroom on occasion to get the tickets to scan. 

September 06, 2014, 03:59:09 PM
Reply #2

james.cross

• Information
    • View Profile
lighting is key. You do not want shadows...but you do not want bright light reflecting off the graphite.

September 07, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
Reply #3

Thomas

• Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Lighting and the darkness and fullness of the circle can cause it to read blank. I did some tests by partially filling in circles and the fuller, the better result.

September 14, 2014, 09:32:53 AM
Reply #4

AlliFlowers

• Information
    • View Profile
Permanent marker actually works well after a student has made their choice with pencil.

September 16, 2014, 01:17:18 AM
Reply #5

JohnG

• Information
    • View Profile
I've found that a felt-tip marker works best. Both pencil and black pen cause a reflection that results in an incorrect scan sometimes. I now require my students to use a fine-point, felt-tip marker made by Bic. They're as small as a pen and easy to use.

September 17, 2014, 07:03:22 AM
Reply #6

Walter Duncan

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Walter Duncan, the teacher co-creator of Quick Key
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Thank you everyone for your patience with the beta. The scanning issues are resolved and will be released in the next update in 2 weeks.

Best,
Walter
Go to http://www.quickkeyapp.com to download the free Quick Key Mobile™ app from iTunes

September 29, 2014, 12:43:45 AM
Reply #7

Chris Beales

• Information
  • Production Testers
    • View Profile
A solution I have found to this problem is to make the quick ticket smaller.  It still scans just fine, but by either printing it smaller or making a smaller jpe image of the ticket, I have found fewer mistakes in scanning.

On a side note, I also find this reduces the time students spend on answers as they have to shade a smaller area for each response and as a result, their shading is neater, which also leads to more accurate scanning.

September 29, 2014, 08:43:34 AM
Reply #8

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tip Chris!

October 30, 2014, 11:31:55 AM
Reply #9

MSchnippert

• Information
    • View Profile
With the new update, it stopped telling me how many blanks there were when it scanned. I like the fraction, but the blanks were how I was able to quickly tell when a paper didn't scan correctly.

October 30, 2014, 01:27:17 PM
Reply #10

Ekinsey

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree with the above post!  I gave students the wrong scores because I didn't know there were scanning errors.

November 02, 2014, 03:24:25 PM
Reply #11

Walter Duncan

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Walter Duncan, the teacher co-creator of Quick Key
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Hi All,

We here you and the fix is in the works and will be out quick!

W
Go to http://www.quickkeyapp.com to download the free Quick Key Mobile™ app from iTunes

November 14, 2014, 08:35:29 AM
Reply #12

Aaron Sweet

• Information
    • View Profile
Seeing blank answers would be great. I've noticed with the new update that there are more blank answers than normal (students have actually answered all questions). I'm going to try to the Sharpie idea and see if that works.

November 25, 2014, 05:50:05 AM
Reply #13

MSchnippert

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi All,

We here you and the fix is in the works and will be out quick!

W

I don't know about the app world, but in my world, more than three weeks is not quick. I used to love the app, but after the last updated it is so unreliable that I'm giving up on it. It doesn't save me any time if I have to rebubble my kids' answers or scan the same paper 5 times.

December 05, 2014, 10:46:01 AM
Reply #14

lobopack

• Information
    • View Profile
I was having the same problem and almost entered the wrong scores until I figured out what was happening.

Simple fix.  The light from my monitor was causing a secondary glare on my tickets.  I turned off my monitor from my computer and I had no errors after that.