Author Topic: Going Green  (Read 1156 times)

April 23, 2014, 11:56:39 AM
Read 1156 times

Tsel

• Information
    • View Profile
Again, I am new to the forum so if I am repeating someone else I apologize.  It is no surprise to anyone in the education business that we waste entirely too much paper.  So one day I had an idea.  I decided to laminate the answer sheets and use dry erase markers for the answer sheets.  This allows the students to take the quiz, get it scanned and erase their sheet and reuse it multiple times.  However, there are a few catches.  One, the teacher has to watch out for the glare of lights in order to scan correctly.  Secondly, students have to be careful to not erase their answers. This is just a suggestion for those who want to save time, paper and money.

April 23, 2014, 01:13:05 PM
Reply #1

Walter Duncan

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Walter Duncan, the teacher co-creator of Quick Key
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Thanks for sharing that with everyone. Do you think wet erase markers might work better?BTW, we are working on something that is going to make lighting a non-factor:)

Best,

Walter
Go to http://www.quickkeyapp.com to download the free Quick Key Mobile™ app from iTunes

April 23, 2014, 04:01:02 PM
Reply #2

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That is a really cool idea. 

April 24, 2014, 07:01:56 AM
Reply #3

Aaron Sweet

• Information
    • View Profile
We can go completely green if students can submit their answer electronically. This will only work if each student has a computer/phone/iPad though, which may not be available at all. Somehow the teacher can create the quiz and make it available for a student to download or open up (through the website or app). The student can then fill out the QK and submit it electronically. This would eliminate scanning all together. I would not be able to do this since I don't have access to this technology all the time, but it seems like a certain direction to take if you want to go completely paperless.

April 24, 2014, 11:42:23 AM
Reply #4

Tsel

• Information
    • View Profile
Walter,

I toyed with the idea of wet erase markers, but it seemed like a big mess in the classroom.  As of now, I have used the dry erase a few times and have run into only a few problems, none of them could be remedied with a wet erase marker.  Now that I think of it, wet erase markers would be harder for students to go back and fix any mistakes that they have made.  With a dry erase marker all you need to do is wipe quickly with your thumb and the student can replace his/her answer.

As far as the suggestion to go completely app driven doesn't really seem to be the aim of this app.  We have to keep a couple of items in mind.  First, most public education classrooms serve students that don't all have access to electronic devices.  Secondly, the sad fact is that we are teaching students how to take a bubbled in form for standardized tests.  Even though many of us would like to move away from that, bubbling answers in on a sheet is good practice for them.

Best,

Tyler

April 24, 2014, 12:04:56 PM
Reply #5

Thomas

• Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah I think the idea of going "paperless" might be a long term "side feature" thought as there are lots of current solutions for online quiz taking. That and the previously highlighted tech concerns.

May 28, 2014, 07:23:25 AM
Reply #6

Saralynn24

• Information
    • View Profile

May 28, 2014, 05:51:21 PM
Reply #7

Walter Duncan

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Walter Duncan, the teacher co-creator of Quick Key
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Thank you for sharing this here Sarah!!
Go to http://www.quickkeyapp.com to download the free Quick Key Mobile™ app from iTunes

August 31, 2014, 08:28:57 AM
Reply #8

carolinebeale

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm really struggling to get laminated ones to scan - I'm guessing because of the glare.  Is there a knack to it?  The Ipevo scan kit, does this work for Iphone, or do you have to use their scanning camera?

September 27, 2014, 09:38:56 AM
Reply #9

rollinsle

• Information
    • View Profile
I am interested in hearing more about the iPevo option too.