Author Topic: Quizzes List Design  (Read 1677 times)

October 16, 2014, 09:52:29 AM
Read 1677 times

Isaac.QK.CEO

• Quick Key Co-Founder and CEO
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • Teachermade is best for teachers!
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Hoping you can help with designing the new Quizzes List screen for the new Quick Key Mobile app. In the new app, when you go to look for a quiz, you will be able to filter the list of quizzes by Course, date, and some other filters too. But today's question is about what information you would like to see about the quizzes in the list. Please take a look at the mockup image at the bottom of this post (you can click on it to make it bigger) and let us know:

1. Is it useful to see summary information about the Quiz, such as how many people have taken it, and what the average score is for all those who have taken it?
2. What kind of information would be useful to see? For example, we could show you which Courses are currently assigned to the Quiz, when it was created, how many students have taken the quiz, whether there are any students in Courses who have not yet been scanned, etc... What would you like to see?
4. Would you prefer to see more quizzes on the screen (with less information about each one), or more information and fewer quizzes? Basically this is a question about how many entries we can fit on the screen. More info mean you see fewer quizzes at a time and you have to do more scrolling.

Thanks for your help! If any of this is unclear please post your question. This is the first of many design questions we will be putting here. So we will be working on making it easier for you to give us your design feedback. Thanks!!
-isaac van wesep, CEO Quick Key Mobile.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:55:09 AM by Isaac.QK.CEO »
Thank you for playing a part in the teachermade revolution! The best software for teachers is software that is teachermade!

October 16, 2014, 10:49:41 AM
Reply #1

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. Is it useful to see summary information about the Quiz, such as how many people have taken it, and what the average score is for all those who have taken it?
I like seeing the quick summary.  The numbers in the mock up are confusing though. 
2. What kind of information would be useful to see? For example, we could show you which Courses are currently assigned to the Quiz, when it was created, how many students have taken the quiz, whether there are any students in Courses who have not yet been scanned, etc... What would you like to see?
I'd like to see the number of students who've taken it and who has not yet been scanned.   This would be helpful since I scan tickets as students finish their tests.
4. Would you prefer to see more quizzes on the screen (with less information about each one), or more information and fewer quizzes? Basically this is a question about how many entries we can fit on the screen. More info mean you see fewer quizzes at a time and you have to do more scrolling.
I'd like to see more info about fewer quizzes. 

October 16, 2014, 11:33:47 AM
Reply #2

juliofoz

• Information
    • View Profile
I like seeing the quick summary.  The numbers in the mock up are confusing though. 
I'd like to see the number of students who've taken it and who has not yet been scanned.   This would be helpful since I scan tickets as students finish their tests.
I'd like to see more info about fewer quizzes.

I agree with all these answers.

October 16, 2014, 11:58:14 AM
Reply #3

magentalizarin

• Information
    • View Profile
I would like to have the date assigned show.

October 16, 2014, 12:17:31 PM
Reply #4

skazzyskills

• Information
    • View Profile
Here's my 2 cents about how to improve QuickKey for the Pro version:

1) I think essential would be to SHARE quizzes with other teachers.

2) Be able to assign skills (for example Math strands) to each individual question, so that you could see after a test how well they did on certain skills or strands.

October 16, 2014, 12:36:01 PM
Reply #5

Newt749

• Information
    • View Profile
Here's my opinion on your questions:
1. I would prefer to see the number of students who have taken the quiz and the average mark for that quiz. Given the size of my smartphone screen, I would prefer to have a link to get more stats on any given quiz/test.
2. I name my quiz/test with a course descriptor in its title so I know which course the quiz/test is assigned to. I can see though that having information on which course each one is assigned to would be useful to some.
3. A limited number of quick stats is more useful given the screen size. Too much information would make the screen cluttered and less readable. A link to greater information on any given quiz/test would be better in my view.

On the topic of information displayed, quiz/test information is valuable from the overall perspective. I would like general stats on that quiz/test only and then perhaps links for more details. If another screen can provide me with the results of all of a particular student's results in every course they are active in, and compare them to the class average, then I have a better idea of the student's performance. That would be a great tool to have in the classroom.

October 16, 2014, 01:02:13 PM
Reply #6

robertchaney

• Information
  • Beta Testers
    • View Profile
Yes. How many taken, and how many remaining (is that what is in between the rosette and the pie-chart?)
It isn't necessary to have the bar AND the %age score: just which ever one takes up less space and fits in better with the rest of the info.

#taken, #outstanding, % average, maybe date last used; everything else is just niceties. Courses assigned will take up too much space; users can just do as suggested above - put course name/code in test title?

3. What happened to Q3?!

Minimum 4 quizzes.
Hope that helps

October 16, 2014, 02:04:59 PM
Reply #7

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Here's my 2 cents about how to improve QuickKey for the Pro version:

1) I think essential would be to SHARE quizzes with other teachers.

2) Be able to assign skills (for example Math strands) to each individual question, so that you could see after a test how well they did on certain skills or strands.
This is brilliant!

October 17, 2014, 02:15:06 AM
Reply #8

weissman

• Information
    • View Profile
I would say test analysis is an important feature

1: reliability of the test
2: P and R values for each question
3: indication if a question was too easy or to hard ( or a potential key error)

October 20, 2014, 09:14:28 AM
Reply #9

Isaac.QK.CEO

• Quick Key Co-Founder and CEO
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • Teachermade is best for teachers!
    • View Profile
    • Quick Key
Folks - Thank you for your feedback. This is very, very helpful.

To give you some general responses, before I delve into specifics:

1) Quiz Sharing is coming. That will be a feature in the initial Pro App.
2) YES there will be a way to just slide the quiz (or student, or course, etc...) in the list and go to a details screen for that object (quiz, student, course).
3) I need more input from the people who mentioned P, R values, and strands. Can you guys PM me on this forum or send me a support ticket so we can talk? I am reluctant to put my email address here, but you could always reach me through the usual method: send a support ticket that says "For Isaac" in the subject line. I want to build these features for you.
4) Professor Calculus! "Me, acting the goat!"
5) do all of you agree that seeing who has taken the quiz and who has not yet been scanned is a very valuable piece of info? We could provide a fraction score of how many people in the course have taken the quiz, and then you tap that to see a list of who has not been scanned yet.
6) Keith and Julio: what if instead of seeing more info on this list screen, it were very easy to drill into specific details and/or see more details overall by tapping or swiping on the quiz entry? Mainly I am concerned that people have a huge number of quizzes and they need to be able to see a lot of the list on one screen.

Thanks everybody you are awesome!! Let's keep this conversation going. I have more mockups to post for your feedback but I am also negotiating a big funding deal right now so bear with me.

-isaac
Thank you for playing a part in the teachermade revolution! The best software for teachers is software that is teachermade!

October 20, 2014, 10:27:10 AM
Reply #10

afagan

• Information
    • View Profile
Instead of whole average for quizzes I would also like to see class averages as well.  On Quizzes I would like to see who hasn't scanned for each quiz on a glance.  How many are missing quizzes is very important to a teacher.  It would be nice to see a student and every quiz they have taken with a score and comparing average is okay... but not a deal breaker, actually too much information for me! I would just like to see a list of all their quizzes and grades broke down by students.
It would be a nice feature if quizzes could be categorized by units for teachers.  have you thought about that?  That would be easy for filtering.

October 20, 2014, 07:43:48 PM
Reply #11

keithv

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I scan with an iPad so screen size isn't an issue.   I like seeing more info about fewer quizzes.   I use QK mostly for chapter tests so old quizzes aren't as interesting. 

November 21, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Reply #12

james.cross

• Information
    • View Profile
I would like to see the option of assigning values 1, 2 , or 3  points for a question. This could be used as a rubric.
Say at the end of a multiple choice test, I have 3-5 fill-in questions. These questions could be worth 1-3 points. I would grade these myself and fill in the scores on the student answer sheet bubbling in the dot matching the points earned for each question. Then when I scan the answer sheet...all the data is in there.

Also being a math teacher...I am using common core standards. If there was an easy way to indicate what objective each question matched up with would be nice. Reporting data based on these common core objectives would also be helpful.

Thanks